If you’re wondering, “Is if safe to remove trees by yourself?” the answer is that it’s not. The size and weight of tree limbs make it dangerous work. That’s why tree removal experts need extensive training along with licensing, insurance and the appropriate gear before they can legitimately offer tree removal services.
Cutting down a tree involves using knowledge, strategy and the right equipment. Let’s take a closer look at how this is done—and why you should always hire the professionals to remove trees from your property.
Common risks with cutting down a tree
There are some common hazards that need to be dealt with when it comes to tree removal:
- Decaying wood: Trees that are being removed are often close to the end of their life cycle and may be decaying inside. This makes them very unstable. Professionals will sometimes use cranes to remove the dead wood. It’s important to bring in the pros if you believe your tree is starting to decay. They can remove it before it suddenly falls and causes damage to your property.
- Power lines: Any time you’re working with trees or branches near power lines, it’s risky business. If you or your tools come into contact with power lines, you could knock out power to the whole neighborhood or be electrocuted. Many believe that black coating on power lines is insulation and will act as protection, but this material is actually for weather proofing. It’s still possible to be electrocuted if you touch any part of a live wire.
- Wrong equipment: Federal requirements stipulate that tree removal experts use protective gear to prevent injury. Professionals are also trained on how to use dangerous equipment like ropes, chain saws, cranes and wood chippers. Any homeowner attempting tree removal would need all these items, along with the right training, to properly cut down and dispose of a tree.
- When a tree falls: Once gravity takes over, you have zero control over where the tree will end up. It will often fall in an unpredictable way. If it doesn’t fall the way you think it will, the felled tree could cause significant damage.
- Tree biology: Tree removal experts take many factors into account before they begin cutting down a tree. It’s important to inspect the tree first to find any signs of disease and decay. This information is combined with the tree’s physical dimensions to determine exactly which tools and techniques should be used to get the job done.
If you’re reconsidering searching for “how to remove a tree yourself,” hopefully you’ll rethink taking a DIY approach and call the experts instead. Neumann & Sons Tree Service is a family-owned company that has been providing exceptional tree service since 2009. We have more than four decades in the tree industry and work with both commercial and residential clients. We do it all, from crown reduction to tree removal and hedge trimming. Get in touch with us today to find out more and get a free quote!
Categorised in: Tree Removal