Pruning trees is one of the top ways to keep them structurally sound and promote healthy growth. But it’s important to note that you can’t just have your trees trimmed whenever you want. Pruning is one of the items of tree maintenance in Paso Robles, CA that should be performed in the dormant season, between late fall and early spring. Continue reading to learn more about pruning your trees.
What are the benefits of pruning during the dormant season?
There are several reasons to schedule pruning in the late fall, winter or early spring. These are a few of the top reasons:
- Better visibility: As any arborist will tell you, trimming trees after they’ve bloomed is a big pain! It’s tough to see which branches need to be pruned, which makes the process less accurate and more time consuming. Trimming once the leaves have fallen ensures precise cuts and better results.
- Save money: Because trimming is much less time consuming and more efficient in the dormant season, you can save a boatload of money by pruning once all of the leaves have fallen. Your chosen arborist is also less busy during the winter, so they’ll be able to serve you faster.
- Less intrusive: Pruning can be one of the more invasive chores your tree service in Paso Robles, CA has to perform. In addition to making noise while you’re trying to relax on the back patio, falling branches can trample flower beds and create a whole mess. You’re less likely to be outside during the winter, and your flowerbeds aren’t in any danger since they’re also dormant.
- Disease control: Preventing tree illness is one of the top reasons to prune your trees each year. However, all of the warm-weather insects spread diseases and fungi that can kill your trees if they land on those fresh cuts. Pruning in the cooler months when there aren’t any insects reduces this risk.
- Faster healing process: Although trimming is a vital part of tree maintenance in Paso Robles, CA, pruning actually injures your trees in the short term. Just like all living things, trees need a while to heal themselves after being hurt. The healing process is much quicker in the cooler months when the tree is dormant and resting.
Don’t prune those trees by yourself!
DIY-ers may be tempted to grab their tree trimming gear and set to work once the temperatures drop, but we strongly advise against that! Novices trimming their trees often leads to less desirable results and can even kill the tree. Additionally, pruning is a dangerous task and can lead to serious injuries, especially if you’re on a tall ladder trimming branches.
Instead of wasting your time and potentially hurting your trees or yourself, hire our pros at Neumann & Sons Tree Service. With four decades of industry experience and fair pricing, we’re the top tree service in Paso Robles, CA. Call us today to set up an appointment for tree trimming or to learn more about all of our services.
Categorised in: Tree Pruning