When it comes to proper tree care in Paso Robles, CA, pruning the branches is near the top of the list. There are several benefits of pruning, like promoting growth, preventing breakage and improving the overall appearance of the tree. If you’re a DIY-er, you might think that you can tackle this task yourself, but we’re here to tell you that this is likely not a great idea. Keep reading to learn why pruning is best left to the pros:
- You don’t have the right gear: Do you have a pole pruner, pruning saw, lopper or hedge shears in your shed? If the answer is “no,” then you’re not equipped to tackle the job. The professionals have all of the correct tools to ensure that your trees are perfectly pruned and look as nice as they can.
- Pruning is dangerous: We shouldn’t have to tell you that working with sharp tools and climbing on tall ladders is risky business. Instead of potentially cutting yourself or falling from the ladder, pick up the phone and give Neumann & Sons Tree Service a call. Our pros have years of experience and are properly trained when it comes to pruning safety.
- An improper job leads to future problems: More often than not, DIY pruning leads to tree issues down the road. Branches that are cut improperly can eventually die or experience stunted growth. Instead of risking either of those scenarios, let a trained expert handle the pruning.
Common DIY mistakes
Despite our warnings, many homeowners still try DIY tree pruning in Paso Robles, CA. Obviously, DIY pruning can result in a variety of mishaps. Here are a couple of the most common mistakes:
- Using the wrong tools: Though some tree care tools might look similar, they don’t all serve the same purpose. Using the wrong pruning gear leads to a poor pruning job, which looks bad and harms the tree in the long run. Rest easy knowing that our professionals use all of the right tools to prune your trees!
- Not sanitizing tools: Just as a doctor sanitizes his tools before surgery, so too does an arborist before pruning. Professionals clean their gear off with alcohol after pruning to avoid spreading diseases from tree to tree. Needless to say, skipping this step can lead to major problems across your lawn.
- Over-pruning: Another problem we often see is a homeowner who gets overzealous while pruning. He or she will get to work and keep cutting and cutting until the branches are nearly gone! Too much pruning doesn’t just look bad—it can actually kill the tree in some circumstances.
- Over-lifting: “Lifting” is a term used by arborists when they’re pruning the bottom branches of the tree. Some homeowners tend to “over-lift,” meaning they cut too many of the lower limbs. This leads to a tree that’s top-heavy and more likely to fall over during a big storm.
Still not convinced that you should call a pro for pruning? Then give Neumann & Sons Tree Service a call! We’ll send someone out to provide you with an estimate for tree care in Paso Robles, CA. We guarantee you’ll want to hire a professional after we’re finished speaking with you!